Benefits & WelfareFrequently Asked Questions

Can I claim housing benefit?

By October 6, 2017 No Comments

If you are a tenant on a low income and not on Universal Credit, you can claim Housing Benefit from your local council towards the cost of your rent. The payment may also include some extra money for other things you have to pay for, such as service charges for cleaning shared areas.

How much will I receive in benefits?

The amount of benefit you receive will depend on a number of different things, including how much you earn and how many people live in your home.

  • What money you and your partner have coming in, including earnings, some benefits and tax credits and things like occupational pensions.
  • Your savings and your partners savings.
  • Your circumstances, such as your age, the age and size of your family, whether you or any of your family is disabled, and whether anyone who lives with you could help with the rent.
  • Whether the amount of rent and size of your home are reasonable.

When should I make a claim?

If you delay, you may lose benefit. You can make your claim up to 13 weeks before becoming entitled to Housing Benefit, although you will not usually receive any money before you move in.

How do I claim Housing benefit?

If you claim Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance, you will get a form to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit with your claim pack. It is important you make a separate claim for both. Jobcentre Plus will not do it on your behalf.

Or, you can get the forms from your local council.
Canterbury City Council 01227 862300
Dover District Council 01304 872199
Gravesham Borough Council 01474 337000
Kingston Borough Council 020 8547 5757
Maidstone Borough Council 01622 602000
Medway Council 01634 332222
Sevenoaks District Council 01732 227000
Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council 01732 844522
Tunbridge Wells Borough Council 01892 526121
Wealden District Council 01323 442666

What will happen to my Housing Benefit if I move?

Moving to a new address, or a change in your circumstances, may also mean a change in your entitlement to Housing Benefit. Tell your local council straight away.

Leave a Reply