To kick-start our recipes, we asked members of staff for their recipe ideas and Nicola from our accounts team shared one of her family favourites with us. It’s very simple to prepare and with only a handful of ingredients it’s a budget-friendly family meal.
Total cost of meal around £6*:
- 6 to 8 chicken thighs or drumsticks on the bone, skin on
- 1 large pepper sliced
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic fine chopped or crushed
- 2 to 3 potatoes roughly chopped or cubed
- a drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup of rice
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- crusty bread to serve
*Excludes the salt and pepper and oil
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 1 hr
- Place the chicken, peppers, onion, potatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper, and garlic in an oven proof dish and cook at 180 degrees for 30 minutes (check after 15 minutes)
- Then add half a cup of rice, 1 cup of chicken stock, 1 cup of frozen peas. Make sure all the rice is covered by the stock.
- Return to the oven for a further 30 minutes, check halfway through and add more stock if required to prevent from drying up.
Why not try adding chorizo and mushrooms or swap out chicken for lamb?
Nicola's recommendation: Try serving with freshly steamed broccoli and crusty bread.
“Yum! This recipe is so simple, yet really tasty. The potatoes took on the sweetness from the peppers and onion. It took no time to prepare and as it was all in one dish there wasn’t a load of washing-up to be done either. This was definitely a thumbs up with children too!”