1. Have all your gas appliances, including boilers, gas cookers and gas fires, safety checked annually
2. Always use a Gas Safe Registered engineer to fit, fix and check gas appliances in your home – it’s the law and will help keep you safe
3. Always ask to see an engineer’s Gas Safe ID card and check the back of the card to ensure they are qualified to carry out the specific type of gas work you need
4. To find a Gas Safe Registered engineer in your area, call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500 or go to www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk
5. Recognise the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness
6. Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room
7. Buy an audible carbon monoxide alarm for your home and make sure it is located near to your gas appliances in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidance. Carbon monoxide can leak from appliances and kill
8. Only use gas appliances for their intended purpose e.g. don’t use a gas oven to heat a room or use a gas barbecue inside the house
9. Always ensure there is enough ventilation for your gas appliances to allow them to burn correctly and make sure you are not blocking any air vents that provide an air supply to the gas appliance
10. Anybody working with gas must be Gas Safe Registered by law. To report someone working without registration, call Gas Safe Register on the free phone number 0800 408 5500.
Carbon Monoxide – the SILENT KILLER
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
Symptoms to look out for include:
- Loss of consciousness
- Pains in the chest
- Stomach pain
- Erratic behaviour
- Visual problems
What to do if you think there is a carbon monoxide leak
If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak in your home, in the same way as if there was a fire:
- Leave the property immediately
- If you’re able to safely leave windows and doors open as you leave then do so.
- Once in fresh air, call the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999 and let them know you have a suspected carbon monoxide leak
- Under no circumstances should you return to your home until you’re told it’s safe to do so