Frequently Asked QuestionsYou & your neighbours

How do I deal with abuse?

By October 20, 2017 No Comments

Abuse will often show itself in signs of anger towards you or a family member. The person abusing you may feel indifferent towards your feelings of hurt or pain. It can happen in your home or in a public place.

Here is a list of the different types: physical, psychological, financial, sexual, domestic, verbal, neglect and racial.

  • You should feel safe in your own home
  • You should not be handled roughly
  • You should not put up with being threatened or feeling punished
  • You should not have to suffer unwanted forms of sexual attention or harassment.

The person who is responsible for the abuse is often well known to the person abused. They could be:

  • a relative, friend or neighbour
  • a paid carer or volunteer
  • a health worker, social care or other worker
  • an occasional visitor or someone who is providing a service
  • someone who deliberately exploits vulnerable people
  • someone who uses services (people who use services may intentionally or unintentionally abuse others and may require support to overcome abusive behaviour).

What should you do if someone is being abused?

  • If you are in immediate danger and your life is threatened, a crime is in progress or people are injured you should dial 999.
  • If you are experiencing domestic abuse, visit  or there is a 24hr National Domestic Abuse Helpline you can call: 0808 2000247. If you’re a men experiencing domestic abuse or violence you can call 0808 8010327.
  • If you’re worried about a child, even if you’re unsure, you can speak to NSPCC about your concerns. Whether you want to report child abuse and neglect or aren’t sure what to do, they’re there to listen, offer advice and support and can take the next steps if a child’s in danger. Call 0808 800 5000 or you can report online here or visit NSPCC.
  • If you are concerned for someone with a learning disability, you should report your concerns about abuse to the local authority in which the person is living. Each local authority has an adult safeguarding team (sometimes called an adult protection team) – the details should be on your local authority website or you can call them and ask. You should contact the adult safeguarding team if you have any suspicion that someone is at risk of abuse.
  • If you want advice or support about any of the above can contact us in confidence.
  • If you want to report a minor crime, you should go to your nearest police station to report it, or call your local police by dialling 101.
  • For Victim Support call 08 08 16 89 111

If you do not want to go direct to the police, you can also report the crime online at

Our Safeguarding policies

Safeguarding Adult Policy

Safetguarding Children’s Policy

Make a Stand logo