The Money Support Service is a service available to all of our tenants to provide budgeting advice and assistance with welfare benefits.
If you are worried about money or you think a change in your personal circumstances may impact on your finances and you want some advice, please speak to us.
However big or small, our money support team is on hand to help. We would rather you spoke to us sooner rather than later as it will be much easier to deal with any money concerns earlier on.
Sadly, many people chose to ignore their debts or get a loan from a loanshark or a payday loan. These money lenders charge very high interest rates and very quickly a small loan of £100 can turn into a massive debt of thousands of pounds. The debt can then spiral and becomes unmanageable.
“I struggle with mental health and when there was a mix up with my housing benefit I didn’t know what to do or where to turn. The money support team helped me by giving me advice on what I needed to do and who to contact, she also referred me to floating support who are helping me get back and keep on track.”
What can you expect from our service?
Our aim is to help you sustain your tenancy by providing money management and welfare benefit advice.
- Short-term (usually up to 1 month) support and advice;
- Provide a clear summary of household income and expenditure;
- Provide advice for increasing household income;
- Provide advice for reducing household expenses
- Assist to negotiate affordable repayment arrangements if appropriate;
- Referals to specialist support/advice providers if appropriate;
- Referals to employment/skills training if appropriate;
- Provide information regarding welfare benefit qualification and entitlement;
- Guide through welfare benefit claims/appeals;
- Improve financial resilience and self-confidence.
When to speak to us:
- You can’t pay some or all of your rent
- You’re struggling to keep up with payment on your other household bills
- You’re going without food, heating etc
- Your circumstances change, such as losing your job
- Getting a reduction in your benefit
- Your money worries are impacting on your health, ie sleepless nights, anxiety etc.
If you are at all worried about being able to keep up payments on your rent, please talk to us. We are here to help.