Frequently Asked QuestionsRight To Buy

What repairs will I be responsible for after I buy my home?

By October 26, 2017 No Comments

After you have bought your home, you alone will be responsible for the future decoration, repair and maintenance of the interior of the property and its services such as gas, electricity and water. If you buy a house you will also be responsible for all repairs and services to the exterior of the property and its grounds too. In the case of flats/maisonettes we retain responsibility for the exterior and common parts but recover our costs in the annual service charge.

Building repairs can be costly which is why it is important to have a survey prior to buying so that you know about any problems, which might need fixing. Building materials deteriorate over time and replacement can be expensive. Repairs can also occur at a financially inconvenient time for you. It is therefore a good idea to set money aside at regular intervals to cover for such repairs.

If you are a house owner you should arrange for building insurance to cover the cost of repair/reinstatement in the event of fire or a similar incident. Such insurance will not however cover you for repairs arising from wear and tear to the property. We provide buildings insurance for flat/maisonette owners but the cost of it is recovered from you in the annual service charge.