The recruitment process begins with your application. Remember that sometimes we receive numerous applications for a role and so it is important that you take some time to ensure that your application stands out. You need to demonstrate in your application that you have the skills and experience relevant to the job. The job description and person specification provides you with information about the role and it also tells you what skills and experience we are looking for.
- Read the job description carefully, ensure that you understand the role and be sure that you have the skills, competencies and experience required. You will be asked to tell us why you are interested in the post
- Be sure to read the questions carefully before you answer them
- Write your first draft independent of the application form and check it for spelling and grammar
- Use spell checks, but be wary of them. If you write ‘from’ instead of ‘form’, for example, it will not be picked up.
- For UK applications avoid those that introduce American spellings like ‘organize’ and ‘center’
- Cut and paste your answers onto the form
- Be careful if you are taking material from another application not to include the name of the other organisation
- Don’t waffle. Keep your answers succinct. Edit them for unnecessary words
- Education and qualifications
- Key skills and competencies
Try use the STARR technique (Situation, Task, Action, Result and Reflect) to answer questions. To explain how your skills and experience make you suitable for this post, it may be better to describe a work or home situation.
- Personal details including nationality, UK working rights, driving details and National Insurance number
- Employment history
- Skills and experience relevant to the vacancy you are applying for. Include why you are interested in the post.
- Education and other relevant training, professional qualifications, or work related skills
- Required notice period in current job and dates not available for interview
- Details of previous jobs you’ve applied for with us
- Two references*
- Details of any connections to the business
*You are asked to provide the name and contact details of two referees. We will not contact your referees unless you have been offered and have accepted a post
If you have taken the time and effort to complete our application form, we think it is important to let you know the outcome as soon as possible. That is why we will endeavour to notify you within 5 days of the closing date as to whether your application is a success. If you have demonstrated the experience and competencies needed for the role we will notify you of the next stage of the recruitment process and arrange interview times.